Friday, April 8, 2011

Mask Making

The inspiration pieces for my mask project were:



The Classic Fang Mask from Gabon is actually one of the most recognized masks in the world and apparently one of the most attractive to Western eyes, which may explain why I chose it.  It is a narrow upside-down teardrop shape that is mainly a natural white/ivory color.  The facial features consist of black lines that represent the nose and eyebrows as well as holes for eyes and the mouth.  Shape can be seen in this piece if you look at the areas between the components.  Line is another element used in this work because it creates the features of the mask as well as leading your eye.  However, the most important element of this mask may have been shape, as the actual shape makes a large impact on the viewer.

I chose the Oceanic yam mask because I found it interesting that men make them to decorate giant yams to make “yam men” as part of their festival.  These masks are also unique because of they are made with woven rattan and dyed with natural pigments.  This mask resembles a basket because it is woven and because of the shape.  The facial features include big ovals which represent the eyes and there is a space that may be the nose or mouth at the bottom of the mask.  The mask utilizes subtle colors of green, yellow, white, and orange.  The strongest element in this work is texture due to the materials used.  Form is also important in this work as it is very three dimensional.  Space also plays a role, especially for the “mouth” and the “headdress” parts.

The European Clown Mask is a very complex and abstract carved wooden mask whose facial features are formed by waves and cuts in the wood.  The most important element in this work is form because of the complicatedness of the carving.  Also, the mask looks completely different from a front to side view because of its dimensions.  Space and line are also utilized by the artist in order to create the features of the mask.  I chose this mask as an inspiration piece because it was the most unique one I saw.
Here are my sketches and final project:

My final piece is called “We Are Nature.”  I used a button, decorative paper, dead leaves, and birch tree bark.  The elements and principles I incorporated were texture, rhythm, and ultimately, unity.  There is texture from the leaves, bark, and button and rhythm from the pattern on the paper.  Unity was achieved through interaction of all of the components.
 I thought the mask project was a lot of fun.  I enjoyed learning about masks in the first place because they are an easy way to take a look at different cultures.  It was fun to incorporate my personal philosophies into my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment