Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Week 12 Video Reviews

The Mystical North: Spanish Art from the 19th Century to the PresentI chose to watch this film because we had an exchange student from the Basque region in the north of Spain.  I learned that Goya’s work reflected the feelings of doubt in the 19th century.  I thought the “black paintings” on his walls were very interesting to learn about.  Conversely, the 20th century exuberance was characterized by the architect Gaudi’s art.  Historic periods in Northern Spain are also represented Pablo Picasso and Francisco Franco, and more recently, Frank Gehry and Santiage Calatrava.  Overall, I thought the concept of this video was very unique – studying the psychological landscape of Spain through art – and was an effective way to bring together the ideologies and lives of many different artists introduced in the book.
Expressionism
I chose to watch this video because I wanted to learn more about expressionism.  I learned that symbolism through color is very important in this style of painting.  For example, the bright colors used in Beckmann’s “Actors” convey the idea that the people depicted might as well be puppets.  The film was very quiet but it definitely helped me to learn more about expressionism after being introduced to it from the book.
Dada and Surrealism
I chose this film because I have always been interested in surrealism.  The film examined six different works by Schwitter, Hoch, Grosz, Miro, Dali, and Ray and their relation to the Dada movement (following World War I) and surrealism.  My favorite was Schwitter’s use of collage from ordinary everyday objects.  I think the film was a little dry and would have been better with music, but I still find the concept of surrealism fascinating – tapping into the unconscious mind.
A Sunday on La Grande Jatte, 1884 (Seurat)
I chose this film because I wanted to learn more about this painting because I have never appreciated it but I thought maybe I would if I learned more about it.  As I learned about it, I became more interested in the painting once the enigmas involved in it were pointed out, such as the monkey (might it represent “monkey business”?).  Furthermore, learning about the historic period on which the painting is based helped me to understand why people are so interested in it – for instance, the park was a place to find prostitutes, which leads viewers to consider if every unaccompanied woman is soliciting herself.  I also am intrigued by Seurat’s pointillism technique – it really shows how much work went into the painting.  Overall, this film did a very thorough job of outlining Seurat’s life, influences, and the details of this particular painting.  Moreover, it reinforced what we learned about him and pointillism from the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment