Friday, February 18, 2011

Exploring Value and the Subtractive Color Theory



This week our hands-on project was to create a value scale and color wheel (shown above).  The color wheel was not all what I had pictured in my head before starting the assignment!  I am glad that we had this assignment so we had the chance to actually work with some materials and get to know how they are used and the basic theories behind them.

I most enjoyed working with graphite pencils for the color scale.  I found this project to be relaxing yet mind stimulating at the same time, because I was paying attention to minute details I never thought about before.  Furthermore, I can see how this practice will benefit me if I need to work with shading in the future.

These projects lead me to an important discovery - that I have been lied to by art teachers for the past 21 years!  Never had an art teacher told me that the primary colors are NOT red, yellow, and blue.  Rather, they are cyan, magenta, and yellow, which create black instead of brown.

That being said, this is definitely the most important information I learned from the videos this week, and doing the color wheel helped to reinforce that.  I liked these videos because they were easy to follow and I the background music in the value scale video was very enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment