Friday, February 25, 2011

Creating a Personal Logo

Creating a logo was very difficult!  For some reason, I had an idea in my head that it would all be computer generated, rather than starting from scratch in a sketchbook.  I think it was especially hard to create one for myself because it is hard to define yourself in just one image.  It would probably have been easier to create a logo for a company, but I enjoyed the challenge!

I started off by thinking about what kind of message I wanted to convey about myself.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I identify with trees because they reflect my upbringing.  Also, I consider myself an environmentalist and it is something I try to practice in my daily life, so I thought incorporating a tree into my design would be ideal. 


I started out with some sketches (see above) and then figured out which worked best and what elements I liked or could work on for the final logo design.

Here is the finished product:



I am very happy with it and proud of myself for getting out of my comfort zone with this project! 

The most important discovery I made in the creation of the logo was about myself - this project gave me a chance to reflect on what is important to me and how I can present this to others.  I also learned more about my style of creativity and my own personal creative process.

However, all of the given resources also provided valuable information.  I really enjoyed the Design and Logo Development reading material from DIY Lupton.  It went over the basics of design and I found the information on different types of fonts and how they can be perceived to be very useful.  I also liked that it showed many different ideas for the "Going Public" logo.

I also thought the videos were great because it familiarized me with the entire process of logo designing and product designing with the use of in depth, real life examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment