Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Architecture Video Review

This week I got to learn more about architecture, which I have been fascinated with for the past couple of years.


I was very excited to watch the Prairie Style video about Frank Lloyd Wright, my favorite architect.  This video explained how this architect changed American architecture in his attempts to reconnect us with nature.  His prairie style is recognizable in the layering of horizontals which give the impression of "growing out of the land."  The video essentially discussed Wright's influence by examining his prairie house designs and the experiences of two of the architects he has inspired through the idea of organic architecture.  The video built upon the idea of organic architecture introduced in the text and the section on Frank Lloyd Wright found on pg. 309.  One fact that surprised me from the text, especially while I was watching the video, is that Frank Lloyd Wright was not very educated and did not even finish high school.  Overall, I enjoyed this video, especially because it mainly consisted of tours of the houses discussed.  It was also interesting to see how other architects have been inspired and interpreted Wright's designs into their own work.  It makes me wish that one of our field trips had been a trip to the Darwin Martin House!


In Architecture: The Science of Design, I learned about how technology is applied to the design of archiecture.  For example, wind tunnel research can help sciencists and archiects plan skyscrapers.  The video built upon the ideas that were introduced in the book, such as how architects choose different materials and structures based on the location and environment.  Furthermore, this video also focused on the application of concrete to architecture, which the book explained was one of the primary materials used in Greek and Roman architecture.  This video was interesting to me because I like to know the science behind things and what leads people to make the decisions they make.  I find it fascinating how science and technology helps us to continually improve and innovate architecture.


Classical Architecture discussed how some of the features of what is thought of as classical architecture is still applied today, such as Renaissance architecture in England.  Moreover, I learned that the idea of solar panels is not at all a new idea, which related to the idea of "green architecture" that was discussed in the text.  This video also reinforced what the text introduced about the infleunce of Greek and Roman architecture.  I liked this video because I have always wanted to travel to Greece and see the architecture that orginally inspired much of the modern classical architecture.


I chose to watch Last Call for Planet Earth because sustainable development and architecture will be my main focus in my studies next year when I go for my Master of Urban Planning at UB. 
One of the most important facts I learned from this video were that it would be easy to build buildings that use 20-30% less energy.  Sadly, it was also mentioned that greenness is less hopeful in capitalist countries because of the challenge of coordinating private companies.  I learned many techniques that can be used in green architecture, such as windows, solar energy, and underfloor heating or cooling.  I was surprised to find out that high ceilings are actually more sustainable because they allow more light and warmth, while I formerly thought that it would make it harder to heat a room if it had high ceilings.  I think the section in which the French woman architect discussed sustainable practices for water, air, and energy really encompassed the possibilities of green architecture.  This video obviously went into further detail on the green architecture section in the book.  This video was really great for me to watch, and I enjoyed it as well, especially hearing all of the different languages of the architects; it showed how environmental issues are a global problem and emphasized that we all need to work together.  In the words of one of the architects, “Today architecture is global.”

No comments:

Post a Comment