Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reflecting on Peer Responses

The assignment this week encouraged me to take a look at the work my peers have been doing.  The blogs I reviewed for Project #1 were: http://shivencm01.blogspot.com/ and http://kellmr35.blogspot.com/.  The blogs I reviewed for Project #2 were: http://jbkelsch.blogspot.com/ and http://shivencm01.blogspot.com/. 

For the elements and principles project, I agreed with all of Christina’s images.  I also thought that her image for “variety” could also fall under the “texture” category, and I noticed that shape and form underlie many of the pictures.

For Melissa’s pictures, I agreed with some of the elements and principles they were supposed to be demonstrating; I thought the dart board was a great idea to show rhythm and the Coca-Cola bottles were an example of proportion.  Her “texture” and “color” pictures were also very straightforward.  However, some of the pictures had a lot of other objects in them so the entire picture did not seem to symbolize these ideas.  For instance, the “balance” picture was not very effective because of the background.  Of course, many of the pictures overlapped in the elements/principles they were representing – I think this was partially the point of this project, to show that a work of art combines many elements and principles.  I definitely think the colored flowers for “unity” also represent balance, color, texture, shape, and form.

It was interesting to see what works of art other people chose from the Albright-Knox.  I noticed that the works of art Christina focused on were not the same as my own.  However, she included an extra section at the end of three works that were her favorites, one of which was “Morning War” by Matthew Ritchie, which I had focused on as a work I would I like to know more about.  So in that way, we had both selected that work as one of our favorites, but I was interested in learning more about Ritchie’s ideas behind the work, while Christina mainly was attracted to the aesthetic elements of the work.

As for Jim’s blog, we both talked about Sol LeWitt’s Wall Drawing #1268.  I would not be surprised if this was one of the most memorable works of art at the gallery for all of us, since we had learned about it beforehand.  However, I chose it because I felt a connection to it because of the anticipation of getting to see it in person, while Jim chose it as one of the works he was most interested in.

After reflecting on others’ blogs, there are some artworks that have piqued my attention although they did not necessarily upon my first encounter with them.  In Christina’s blog, she talked about “Untitled” by Fernand Leger as a work she would like to know more about.  I actually do not remember seeing this work in the gallery, but as she pointed out, the piece looks 3D so I would like to know more about the technique used for this effect and also what exactly the artwork represents, because I see many things in it, from the devil to a cartoon character.
I am interested in Urban Landscape Buffalo by Zhan Wang after reading about it in Jim’s blog.  When I saw it at the museum, I was just overwhelmed by it and did not even notice the title.  Now after knowing the title, I am more interested in the concept behind it and what the artist was trying to say about our society.  I also would be interested in finding out if any of the elements used were from Buffalo, since it is part of the name.

I really enjoyed reading others’ blogs and seeing their pictures.  It was especially helpful to see their slideshows of the elements and principles of art because it was like a refresher to me.  I liked hearing other peoples’ opinions of the gallery and the artwork there.  It is nice to get some feedback from my peers!  It was also good to know that we are all in the same boat; Lindsey commented that she did not know where to start with the elements and principles project, until things started popping out at her.  Overall, reading and interacting with each other’s blogs made these assignments more meaningful and memborable.

No comments:

Post a Comment