Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Reflection

My expectations for this course were that I would learn about art history and techniques and also reconnect with my artistic side.  I would say that I learned more about art history than actual techniques and styles, but I definitely never thought I would know this much about elements and principles!  I do think I got back in touch with my creative side this semester, and I am very thankful that I made time for it!

This course reinforced my previous definition of art as "any visual expression."  There are so many different types of art, cultures, and people, that almost anything can be seen as art.

In the beginning of the semester, my favorite artist was my friend Mandie, who does amazing work in ceramics.  However, my favorite visual artist is definitely now Charles Burchfield - I have been to the Burchfield Penney Art Museum many times, and each time I learn something new about him that makes me appreciate him even more.  I especially can relate to his feelings about nature.

After this course, I have to admit that taking an online class is a lot more work than I thought it would be.  I originally thought I would be able to do it on my own time, but it is really hard for me to make time to do it - I probably would have done better just going to school for a class.  Nevertheless, I am glad I experienced it and now I know more about myself and my preferences!

No comments:

Post a Comment